Thursday, December 29, 2011

Color Gets Me 'Jacked'!

(Guess What?!  This photo of mine was used in a recent
Brave Girls Club 'Awesome Things' video!  Go to
www.bravegirlsclub.com and check it out!)


Hi World!

Okay, today is Thursday, and I've gotta be honest--I'm operating on 3 hours SLEEP!!


Yeah, I can't believe it either.  One part of me says 'correct the errors' as I type, and the other says, 'leave them in--it's factual'!


Do you have nights when you struggle to sleep?


I think the reason for me was working on a quilt top all day...




(close-up detail of prints)
As you will see, the colors and patterns are very vibrant.  This is the new line of Paula Nadelstern fabric (arriving soon),

and I was asked to make a sample for the shop I work at part-time; 'Greenbaum's Quilted Forest,' in downtown Salem, Oregon.



(Currently, we are celebrating
our  111th year in business!!! 
That's in one family; from the
opening until this very instant, which is amazing, don't you think?)*


Anyway, one of the great things about quilt shops are the samples of quilts you can go look at for inspiration.  New fabrics, new patterns, examples of hand or machine quilting; samples for upcoming classes, it's all there. 


At Greenbaum's we love color, and bold, fun prints, so the owner, Sylvia Dorney is constantly asking staff members (or--more like this: WE BEG HER to make samples for the store when new fabrics come in!!)



(Laid out and coming together)


Yesterday, as I said, I put together a quilt top, using a pattern we really love at the shop; called, 'Perfect Ten.'  It uses 10 fat quarters (each about 18" x 22"), cut up into several sizes, then reassembled.** 



This is a great pattern for a coordinated group of fabric, but after I got through putting it together, I was so excited.  I was 'mawing' my stash, to see if there were other combinations I could put together!


(That really says something, huh?!)


If you know me, you know I LOVE COLOR!


If you don't know me, then please take a look around my blog, and know that I believe Color is one of the greatest gifts God has given us. 


It adds the Spice to Life.


what I'm getting at is, I got all 'jacked up' on the excitement, the color, the construction, and being in my studio again, that last night, I could NOT get to sleep!  (I did remember to take these photos for you, though).


Tonight, I'm hittin' it early, and Tylenol PM even earlier!



(if I want to skipp onto my ufo's instead and make somehting for meylserf, is that bakdo fm e to twant to do?  haha! 

(art by Melody Ross, Brave Girls Club)

mayvbe i shouwld get soemg lseep firstl!!))



*ps...we were also named a 'Top Ten' Shop by American Patchwork & Quilting about 10 years ago, and about 5 years ago, they named Greenbaum's one of the All-Time 'Top 20' Quilt Shops!  My picture even got into the magazine, along with the other staff members!


**Is there a man in your life who makes little comments like, "I don't understand how women can take a 'perfectly good piece of fabric,' cut it up and reassemble it again?" 

To that, I say: "hmmm, how about wood-working, dear?!"

(just remember, we're all trying to keep America's economy afloat!)

No comments: